20 October 2007

boobs. again.

This post makes me want to go out shirtless, just to see what would happen. Would I get arrested in this country (i.e. the U.S.) if I went out without a shirt? How come women in Europe and other parts of the world don't have to cover their breasts in public, but we do? Why is a breast, in any form, perceived as obscene? Does "the public" not realize that the difference between a man's breasts and a woman's amounts to some adipose (i.e. fat) tissue and developed ducts and glands? Or that breast milk is technically classified as a kind of mucus secretion?

It's just a breast people! Yes, i said it: breast. Maybe I should shout it: B-R-E-A-S-T.

And now for the point: to all those who have issues with seeing breasts, whether on a billboard, a magazine cover, a nursing mom, or on the street, or wherever, I say: GET OVER IT!

Seriously!

But I'm guessing that the people who have a problem with it are probably not reading my blog. *sigh* So what are we to do? How do we educate/liberate people? How do we get the advertisements and messages portraying women as mere sex objects to stop? Why do we buy products that are advertised like this? How come the conservative rhetoric seems to overpower the liberal voice these days?

????

I think I need to move to a blue state. Then again, here's some food for thought: none of the states seem to be doing well when it comes to women's health, in particular. Did you know that the majority of the states are not meeting the minimum basic requirements for women's health? The picture is bleak. Why aren't more people outraged?

1 comment:

Kristina said...

Sometimes I feel like we just have to keep walking the walk and it will happen over time. I have a picture of the Little Rock High School Nine parading into the school bravely.

a little disclaimer...

i'm a medical student. just a student. so please, don't take anything i say too seriously. remember that i was an english literature major as an undergrad, so there is much fiction to be found in these pages. do you think i'm telling a story about you or your illness? more likely, you're tapping into my sense of "everyman"--that is, your story resonates with what i write here because it's not so uncommon after all. need help? please, please go see your physician. <--i'm not her. yet. ;-)